Michael J. Martone
Having spent the majority of his professional career in government and politics, Michael Martone advocates the interests of clients by tracking proposed legislation, monitoring proposed rules and regulations, and working with elected and appointed leaders in State and Federal government. Michael specializes in helping businesses navigate their way through state government both on the administrative and legislative sectors. With extensive contacts throughout the executive branch, Michael offers particular skills to clients who have issues or opportunities with state administrative agencies. He also possesses excellent municipal government contacts as well as grass roots and coalition building expertise.
Prior to joining Murtha Cullina LLP in 1998, he played a major role in several statewide political campaigns. He also served as legislative program manager at the CT Department of Economic and Community Development from 1997 to 1998 and as Director of Constituent Services in the CT Governor’s office from 1995 - 1997.
- A state trade association found itself part of a national movement to allow less qualified individuals to perform the same service at deeply discounted rates. Mike lobbied extensively at the Committee level, organized a grass roots campaign through the association, and was able to defeat this proposal. To date, Connecticut remains the only state where this legislation was defeated.
- Three chemical manufacturing companies, including one headquartered in Connecticut, faced the possibility of a major chemical being banned. A banning by their home state legislature would undoubtedly fare the same result in the other states. Focusing the argument on public safety and jobs, Mr. Martone was able to defeat the legislation in three consecutive sessions in Connecticut. Unfortunately, lobbyists in other states were not successful and the companies reached agreement with the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to phase out the manufacture and sale of the chemical in the United States.
- A global technology company has engaged Mike to advise them on business opportunities at the state and local levels. His ability to match the needs of the department with the solution offered by the company has provided significant business opportunities for the client.
- Recently, a California-based company eager to offer its green technology on the east coast, retained Mike to identify legitimate sales leads. The company is now in significant discussions with potential purchasers.
- A group of transportation specialists learned that their livelihood would be impacted by a Department of Labor decision when, after years of being classified as independent contractors, the Department of Labor ruled they were, in fact, employees of the companies they contracted with. The results of the ruling would make them unable to compete with out-of-state independent contractors and would force them to close their doors. Mike brought this to the attention of the state legislature and a bill was passed specifically designating these workers as independent contractors which allowed them to remain in business.
- Legislative Lobbying
- Administrative Lobbying
- Media Relations
- Overall Strategy Development
- Public Policy Consulting, Seminars & Newsletters
- Assistance with State Agency & Municipal Contacts
- Assistance with Federal & Interstate Contacts
- Quinnipiac University
- Legislative Program Manager for the State Department of Economic and Community Development
- Director of Constituent Service in the CT Governor's Office